Monday, February 1, 2010

Wild Mushroom Risotto

Wild Mushroom Risotto

Risotto is one of those dishes that I usually only order at an Italian restaurant, I know how to cook it but it can often take longer to prepare then I care to spend. The classic way of making risotto entails stirring the Arborio rice constantly while slowly adding warm stock or broth. Since I always have a bag of Japanese rice on hand and it is very glutinous and similar to the Arborio rice used in Risotto, I used it. I even have a rice cooker so preparation is that much easier.
2 cups rice $1.00
½ lb. wild mushrooms $6.00
3 green onions $.40
½ cup half and half $.75
½ cup parmesan $1.25
2 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil
Total: $9.40

Prepare the rice according to package directions, use a rice cooker if you have one. Use short grain white rice for best results.

Use a variety of mushrooms which can be found at local farmers markets or if you prefer you can use mushrooms found at your local grocery store. I picked Lion’s Mane, Morels and Black Trumpet mushrooms, but most mushrooms would work. I submerge them in a bowl of cold water and gently agitate them to remove any dirt.

Sauté the mushrooms in one tablespoon each of butter and olive oil over medium high heat for a few minutes, I cook each type of mushroom separately to avoid crowding the pan. Remove from pan and set aside.

In the same pan mushrooms were cooked in, add remaining tablespoon of butter and sauté sliced green onions for about one minute, add cream, rice and parmesan cheese. Stir until all ingredients are completely incorporated then gently fold in cooked mushrooms.

If you don’t like mushrooms, asparagus or seafood would make a great substitution.


No comments:

Post a Comment